13 November 2009

Digital Dementia (and a boring Production Schedule)

Lisa at Northern Lights told me today that The Baltic Centre For Contemporary Art in Newcastle has offered to host part of the NL festival on the first floor, where there is a cinema and conference space. The idea is to organise a program of events for the first day to include talks and screenings on the theme of memory and aging, and hopefully to premier this film I'm working on there.


To Click here to see an ever evolving production schedule for this project courtesy of my ever ubiquitous google remote memory.


Talking of which... this last week I have struggled to function.  My internet has been down most of the time and, being so google-cloud dependent, reliant on them for email, calenders and documents, it felt like I had developed some form of Digital Dementia: my information is there somewhere, but I just couldn't access it.  As my time was almost completely consumed by running and taking part in photography workshop, it was a strangely liberating experience.  I had the feeling that it was the first time I had consistently concentrated on something new for a long time.


I then looked up the term and discovered it's already been coined and seems to be particularly prevalent in Korea.


From KBS World:

Digital Dementia or Alzheimer’s

Digital dementia refers to a kind of forgetfulness suffered by urban or professional workers due to the flood of information that assaults them in the office and their growing dependency on digital devices. The main cause of digital dementia might be excessive use of digital devices. Dementia and Alzheimer’s are diseases caused by damage in the brain, but “digital dementia” is not a disease and instead a kind of symptom caused by social phenomena.

Types of digital dementia
ㆍNot remembering names, phone numbers, numbers, etc. at critical moments
ㆍNot remembering one’s own home phone number, ID number, account number, passwords, etc.
ㆍNot remembering what one had for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment