7 October 2009

Some background to the grant and the those involved in this project

I made a set of 3 Minute Wonders for Yipp films at the start of this year.  A few months later Patrick Collerton who runs Yipp suggested I pitch for an Grant that the Northern Lights Film Festival was awarding in collaboration with the Tynside Cinema and the AV Festival, the money coming originally from an experimental funding project called Missions Models Money. (MMM). He originally set the festival up with Mark and has now stepped back to let Lisa Laws run it.  I sent in a proposal for a project about memory and memory loss, and some examples of my previous work and a week later got a call from Lisa wanting to discuss the idea.


It turns out they split the grant in three and that I had been chosen to work with the Northern Lights and Tynside third.  Its a completely new idea so I went up to Newcastle from London where live to try to work it out with Lisa and Mark.  They were wonderfully supportive and open about the whole venture. They explained that they were looking for an artist who would be willing to develop an idea in an open and collaborative way, their principle role being to enable and coordinate encounters, meetings and conversations, between myself and people/institutions who seem relevant to the project, while simultaneously looking into alternative distribution ideas for whatever I ended up making.  They would also financially support my travel and working costs for the four month research/shooting period leading up to the NL festival in March.  
This blog is intended to be the pool for everything that comes out of that first meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment