23 October 2009

What is the good life?

Usually when I am with my sister I encourage her to do things with me that she might not do if she's on her own (as she wouldn't know where to start) like gardening, cooking, and going to the market. On this recent visit I still did quite a lot of that, but I also made an effort at times to be less proactive, to see what she might do as if she were alone. I had originally imagined that being around with my camera would disrupt things, but it turned out that if she thought I was busy doing something else she would very quickly get on with her usual life, and didnt seem to mind if I filmed her.
She spent her time doing one of the following: looking after certain plants in the garden, picking leaves for the rabbits, working on her patchwork while half watching M3 TV channel, making expresso coffee and enjoying it while smoking and looking at the view, looking at the sheep through binoculars, feeding Max the cat, letting Max in and out of the house, glancing through the Herald Tribune (delivered daily by the postman) and cutting out the Calvin and Hobbs one.
I write this list in an attempt to get to the fact that despite her lack of memory she is able to pass the majority of a day doing a variety of things that she has always enjoyed in her life. The fact that she does the same things every day doesn't seem to matter to her because she doesn't feel that kind of boredom. 
At the same time I think the visits she recieves from the three ladies which our family has arranged, are incredibly important. They take her out shopping in the market and for meals in cafes, or just visit for tea.  She doesn't seem to remember these trips or visits at all, but I am sure that her body and spirit remembers the stimulation she gets and as a result she feels like she's living a fuller life.
I think because she has this combination of routine and variety means she genuinely feels she's living a good life even though she knows things are not all right in her head and she is not independent. Despite know that, her stable set-up means she feels calm enough to be able to really enjoy the simple things that make up her day without worrying that something is wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment